In the 1870s, the Bowens added to the servants’ ell. The extension included additional servants’ quarters on the second floor, and a laundry washroom on the first, moving that task out of the cellar. The photo shows the addition on the far left—click through for a better view. The addition continued the board and batten siding—so important to the Gothic Revival style—but did not have diamond-paned casement windows or the original building’s steeply pitched roof, though it did have a parapet along the flat roof line. Also visible in this picture is the metal roof that was added in 1887, perhaps in response to a chimney fire which, according to Henry’s and Lucy’s son Clarence, could have had disastrous consequences had the roof not been covered in snow.