In 1907, a Palace Crawford stove was installed in the Roseland Cottage kitchen. Connected to it was a copper pressurized tank that held hot water. The stove most likely burned coal, although some models could burn wood. Water was heated in the stove and then piped into the tank. Pipes conducted the water, on demand, to locations throughout the house.